I’ve spent the past week focusing on two touchpoints: the iPad app that the mother uses to construct the kit and the iPhone or iPod Touch app that the daughter uses to access a network.
On Native Prototyping
Since the first initial round of wireframes, I’ve turned my wireframes into clickable prototypes within their native environments. I wanted to reach this stage as quickly as possible so that I could really understand the experience and what truly doesn’t work or falls short. Subsequently, I ended up iterating on my wireframes two more times.
A Few Notes
- Clarity: The app for the mother has to be really clear in terms of what she needs to do and why–particularly when 12 kits are involved. While I’ve clarified it further through my iterations, the app could use a bit more pushing in that area.
- Content: Content is huge for both touchpoints since the apps educate both the mom and the daughter. Until now, I’ve been somewhat putting this aside to focus on function and flow. It’s now time to really apply content strategy.
- Delight: Both apps, in their current state, feel mostly functional. Which makes sense given that I’ve been focused on establishing the foundation. But now, I need to ramp up the experience, otherwise the apps will feel cumbersome and more like data-entry than storytelling.
I’m ready to up the level of fidelity for both touchpoints. At this point, finalizing and pushing the apps to high-fidelity will enable me to tackle the points above. This includes incorporating the branding, focusing on the interactions and gestures, and really solidifying the content strategy.